Vincent Liu is interested in the theory of novel emergent phenomena of quantum condensed matter. He has considerable experience in interacting Bose and Fermi gases of cold atoms, quasi–one–dimensional electronic, charge and/or spin liquids (such as coupled Luttinger liquid models), and quasi 2D strongly correlated electronic systems such as high temperature superconductors. He also has a background in quantum field theory and is interested in all applications of it to condensed matter. His current research focuses on the rapidly developing field of ultra–cold atomic gases, driven largely by many ongoing experiments worldwide.
- X. Li, E. Zhao, W. V. Liu, "Topological states in a ladder-like optical lattice containing ultracold atoms in high orbital bands", Nature Communications 4:1523 (2013)
- “Topological semimetal in a fermionic optical lattice,” K. Sun, W. V. Liu, A. Hemmerich, S. Das Sarma, Nature Physics 8, 67-70 (2012).
- “Orbital Dance,” M. Lewenstein and W. V. Liu, Nature Physics 7, 101 (FEB 2011).
- "Orbital order in Mott insulators of spinless p-band," E. Zhao, W. V. Liu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 160403 (2008).
- "Atomic matter of non-zero momentum Bose-Einstein condensation and orbital current order," W. V. Liu, C. Wu, Phys. Rev. A74, 013607 (2006).
- "Spin-Dependent Hubbard Model and a Quantum Phase Transition in Cold Atoms," W. V. Liu, F. Wilczek, and P. Zoller, Phys. Rev. A 70, 033603 (2004).
- "Interior gap superfluidity," W. V. Liu and F. Wilczek, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 047002 (2003). "Stability Criteria for Breached Pair Superfluidity," M. M. Forbes, E. Gubankova, W. V. Liu, F. Wilczek, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94 , (2005) 017001. Reported in "Odd Particle Out," Phys. Rev. Focus, 5 January 2005.
- "Competing orders in coupled Luttinger liquids," C. Wu, W. V. Liu, and E. Fradkin, Phys. Rev. B 68, 115104 (2003).
- "Theoretical study of the damping of collective excitations in a Bose-Einstein condensate," W. V. Liu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 79, 4056 (1997).